TUNISIAN QUEER RESIDENCY Call for projects 2023
- Structure description :
Mawjoudin We Exist is a Tunisian based association fighting for equality and rights for LGBTQI+ individuals.
Mawjoudin’s approach is above all inclusive: the association adopts an intersectional approach to include people from all backgrounds, all age groups, all genders and sexual orientations and from different regions of Tunisia.
Mawjoudin is a committed art producer that advocates integrity and celebrates difference and dignity; advocates love in all its forms and the expression of identity. With faith in the power of artistic creations as a means of mediating queer culture and a space capable of triggering breaches of reflection.
- Project description :
Tunisian Queer Residency is a Tunisian multi-disciplinary artistic residency project led by the Association Mawjoudin We Exist and taking place in two phases between 2023 and 2024, with a public showcase event. TQR will select 10 artists from Tunisia and the MENA region, who will work together on 5 queer projects.
Tunisian Queer Residency (TQR) is an opportunity and a space for physical encounters between two artists with different practices, through a joint trans- or multi-disciplinary project. The project must be submitted by a lead artist and a guest artist, who wish to collaborate together and cross their disciplines.
The guest artist will be proposed either:
– By the leading artist (when the application is submitted).
– By the TQR artistic team (following the reading of the project, in the selection phase).
- Artistic disciplines :
– Performing arts: dance / theater / performance / circus / styling and stage costumes/ standup
– Music: sound / singing / poetry and writing / slam
– Visual arts: visual arts / video art / set design / photography / make-up
- Eligibility criteria :
– Age: Over 18
– Country of origin: The following MENA countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Palestine, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates.
– Country of residence: MENA countries and Europe.
– Willing to commit for the duration of the project
– Apply within the deadline and submit a complete application by filling in the form and providing the required documents.
– A minimum of 2 years’ experience in the discipline of the proposed project.
– Interest in and sensitivity to queer issues (non-normative genders and sexualities)
– Ability to travel outside the country of permanent residence
– Applications from queer, lgbtqi+ people are encouraged.
- Required documents:
– Completed form (link)
– Identity documents (CIN/passport)
– Complete and updated C.V.
– Letter of motivation
– Portfolio / Artistic file
– Letter of recommendation from a professional in the discipline of the proposed project
– Letter of commitment to be signed
- Application deadline:
July 7, 2023 at midnight local time Tunis (GMT+1 )
- Selection process:
– Call launch: June 6, 2023
– Submission deadline: July 7, 2023 at midnight local time Tunis GMT+1
– Pre-selection: Last week of July 2023
– Final selection: Last week of August 2023
– First residency: Late November-early December 2023 (dates to be specified)
– Second residency: April 2024
– End of the residency / showcase event: Early May 2024
- Selection criteria:
– Queer topic at the heart of the creation / queer centered creation topic
– Relevance and originality of the project
– In-situ creation to be adapted for broadcasting
– Seriousness and commitment
- Funding and support conditions:
– Mawjoudin offers a creation grant of 8000 TND (2400 euros) per duo project.
– Mawjoudin covers the costs of accommodation, transport and food.
– Mawjoudin covers the technical costs of each project, which must be validated in advance by the TQR technical department and the artist duo.
– For artists residing outside Tunisia, Mawjoudin covers VISA fees and round-trip airfare.
- Contact information:
firstname.lastname@example.org (please specify in the subject: TQR / name & family name / title of the project submitted)